Introducing Amazon Key
Amazon Key is a service that will facilitate in-home delivery to Prime members in 37 cities and surrounding areas, across the United States, with more locations available over time. Amazon Key is comprised of an app, compatible smartlock and cloud cam and is exclusively available to Amazon Prime members.
Customers who order the In-Home Kit will begin to receive them on November 8 - installation is available for free. At this time, customers can begin selecting Key ship options and use the Amazon Key's guest access feature to allow trusted people like a house cleaner, dog walker or friend into their home. Amazon Key doesn't simply replace a key with a digital passcode - it makes enabling access easier and safer than ever before.
Using the Amazon Key app, customers can track in-home deliveries with real-time notifications, watch the delivery happening live, or review a video of it after the delivery is complete.
How deliveries work with Amazon Key:
- Customer purchases and installs In-Home Kit and downloads Amazon Key app
- Customer places an order with Amazon, selecting "in home" ship options
- On delivery day, customer receives a notification in the morning.
- When the delivery driver arrives at customers' home with their package, Amazon verifies that the correct driver is at the right address, at the intended time, through an encrypted authentication process.
- Customer receives an "Arriving Now" notification, and customers can choose whether to watch the delivery happening live.
- Once the delivery driver is verified, Amazon Cloud Cam begins recording and the door is unlocked. No special codes or keys are provided to the delivery driver.
- Delivery driver will always knock first, then driver will request to unlock the door via handheld delivery device.
- Amazon will unlock the door, then driver will open door, place package inside the house, and close the door.
- Once the door is closed and delivery is completed, delivery driver will request the door to be securely locked. Drivers will not be able to proceed to next delivery until the customer's door has been relocked.
- Customer receives a final notification and watch a video clip of the delivery.