How Amazon is helping customers get groceries
We are closely monitoring the impact of COVID-19 and working to get groceries to customers quickly and safely through Whole Foods Market, our newly launched Amazon Fresh store, Amazon Go stores, and Amazon Go Grocery, as well as grocery delivery through Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods Market. Throughout the pandemic, our top priority has been the health and safety of customers and employees, while also working around the clock to expand services, launch new features, and open pickup locations in order to serve the dramatic increase in customer demand for groceries. Our Amazon associates, Whole Foods Market Team Members, and delivery partners are among the many retail heroes of this COVID-19 crisis.
Here are updates on how we are supporting our grocery customers and employees during this time:
Health and safety in our stores and communities
- We’ve opened our first Amazon Fresh store in Woodland Hills, California, to everyone in the community. In the Amazon Fresh store, we’ve implemented all of the same COVID-19 safety measures as Whole Foods Market stores to protect our customers and associates. Learn more.
- To help protect our employees and communities, all Whole Foods Market and Amazon stores will require customers to wear face coverings beginning July 20. We will continue offering free, disposable masks to customers who do not have their own
- We have distributed masks and gloves for employees across all Amazon and Whole Foods Market stores
- We are performing daily employee temperature checks
- We have provided plexiglass barriers between employees and customers at various locations inside all stores
- We have enforced social distancing guidelines
- We have restricted the number of customers and employees allowed in the store at one time based on the size of the store
- We have introduced enhanced cleanliness and sanitization protocols across all stores and facilities, on top of our standard, stringent protocols
- We have increased the number of hand sanitizer stations available in our stores
- All Whole Foods Market and Amazon Fresh stores have dedicated shopping hours to service customers who are 60+ (70+ years old U.K.), those with disabilities and those who the CDC defines as high risk.
- We have applied temporary prepared foods changes in stores:
- We are no longer allowing personal, reusable containers
- We have suspended all food and product sampling and demos
- Self-serve offerings are closed
- Indoor and outdoor seating is temporarily unavailable
Health and safety with pickup and delivery
- Since March, we’ve increased the capacity of our grocery delivery services by more than 160 percent and tripled the number of Whole Foods Market pickup locations to serve more customers
- We opened a new online-only Whole Foods Market store on September 1, in order to serve even more customers and continue to meet the growing demand for grocery delivery in Brooklyn, New York.
- Select Whole Foods Market locations in the U.S. have dedicated hours for grocery pickup reserved for Prime members 60 years and older, those with disabilities and those who the CDC defines as high risk
- We added additional grocery delivery windows in the morning and evening across Amazon Fresh and select Whole Foods Market locations
- Since March 16, we’ve increased hiring to help meet increased delivery demand
- We adjusted store hours for select Whole Foods Market locations so Team Members can focus exclusively on fulfilling online grocery orders
- We have opened our Northridge, California, Irvine, California, North Hollywood, California, and Naperville, Illinois Amazon Fresh grocery stores as temporary, online-only stores, focused exclusively on fulfilling grocery delivery orders. With these stores now open to focus exclusively on grocery delivery, we have increased delivery capacity and are able to serve thousands of additional customers in these communities.
- In partnership with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, we have expanded online access to SNAP (food assistance benefits) in multiple states
- Prime Now, Amazon Fresh, and Whole Foods Market delivery customers have the option to select "unattended delivery" during checkout. Orders not containing alcohol are eligible for unattended delivery
Health and safety for our employees
Amazon has invested heavily in safety since this crisis began, and our top concern remains focused on ensuring the health and safety of our employees, who are among the many heroes of the COVID-19 crisis. In addition to the new measures we’ve instituted in our stores, we will continue to provide all employees across Amazon and Whole Foods Market stores diagnosed with COVID-19 or placed into quarantine up to two weeks of pay.
Get the latest information about Amazon’s grocery offerings and updates regarding COVID-19 by bookmarking this page. To learn more about how Amazon is supporting its employees, customers, and communities during the pandemic, get daily updates here.